Kids and adolescents physically develop at different paces. While a well-researched and studied range of growth can be expected at specific age intervals, individual bodies all have their unique timetable.
Growing pains can, unfortunately, be troublesome or often occur for some children while not as much for others, if at all.
What Are Growing Pains?
Growing pains most commonly show up in the musculoskeletal system during periods of quick or large growth spurts. They typically surface as sporadic cramps, a throbbing sensation, or a dull, aching sensation.
The body’s muscles cannot always keep up with bone development, leading to aches, pains, and muscle fatigue. Legs, shins, knees, ankles, and feet are common locations for growing pains, but they can also appear in all appendages, the spine, and its surrounding soft tissue.
Research shows that over 50% of children/teens experience some form of growing pains from age 3-15.
Symptoms of Growing Pains
Any discomfort from growing pains usually happens late in the day or at night, and some children report symptoms awakening them at night. Growing pains usually alternate between both sides of the body.
Symptoms of growing pains may include:
- Consistent or sporadic pain over the same area
- Morning muscle stiffness
- Swelling or redness over an afflicted area
- Awakening during the night due to cramps/pain
Treatments for Growing Pains
There aren’t any true treatments for growing pains, but there are modalities that can help ease symptoms.
- Local massage of the affected areas, if tolerated
- Over-the-counter pain medications as necessary
- Epsom salt baths
- Magnesium Glycinate supplements (available at Vaida for older kiddos)
- Magnesium Lotion/Creams
- Increasing physical activity can help ease stiffness
- Ice or heat packs depending on what feels better to your child
- Good nutrition and adequate vitamin consumption. Vaida suggests Nordic Naturals Gummies. Pick some up at your next appointment.
- Orthotics (shoe inserts) can help if your child has growing pains in their feet.
How Chiropractic Care Can Help Our Patients Who Are Experiencing Growing Pains
How can chiropractic care help our Vaida families/patients with growing pains?
Receiving regular adjustments can help optimize and balance the body’s many moving parts keeping it aligned to help reduce stressors, aches, pain, and muscle spasms that might occur during growth spurts.
Adjustments can also increase joint spaces to allow full function at growth plates and decrease tension within muscles and fascia.
Be sure to schedule a visit for chiropractic care at Vaida so that Dr. Lydia and Dr. Bethanie can help and support your little (or not so little) ones in getting through their growing pains with less discomfort.
*Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, Vaida earns a small commission from qualifying purchases